From Connazionali, Stenterello, and Fartoriello: Italian Variety Theater in San Francisco, by Daenna Paoli Gumina, California Historical Quarterly, Vol. LIV, No. 1, Spring 1975
By 1909, the Italian theater moved its location once again. Signora Pisanelli, with the help of city boss Abe Ruef, accumulated the necessary finances to acquire Russian Orthodox Church on Powell Street between Union and Filbert Sts. The formal opening of the new Washington Square Theatre on April 10 1909, was a grand event. For the first time, the Italian colony proudly boasted of theater house with a seating capacity of almost one thousand. The theater was opened daily to the public from 2 P.M. until 5 P.M., and from 6:30 P.M. to 11 P.M. afternoon matinees began at 1 P.M. The price of admission ranged from to a dime.
Reprinted in the Holy Trinity Cathedral LIFE, Vol. 6, No. 8, April 1999