State to Preserve Old Greek Chapel
Sonoma Mission to Be Restored Also; Appropriations Made.
By International News Service
SANTA ROSA, June 12. The State at last is going to do something for the preservation of the old Greek chapel at Fort Ross, built by the Russians in 1812, which has been allowed to decay. The old chapel at Fort Ross was purchased a number of years ago for the State through the efforts of the William Randolph Hearst Landmarks League. Through the efforts of Senator Herbert Slater of this country a bill providing for an appropriation of $2,000 passed both houses of the Legislature and has just been signed by Governor Johnson. Slater has also got the last appropriation to complete the restoration of the Mission San Francisco del Solano, at Sonoma, another landmark purchased by the Hearst Landmarks League and given to the State.
The San Francisco Examiner, Sunday, June 13, 1915, p. 44:6
Reprinted in the Holy Trinity Cathedral LIFE, Vol. 2, No. 10, June 1995