OF THE HOLY COUNCIL OF BISHOPS
OF THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH
ON THE CANONIZATION OF
ARCHPRIEST JOHN KOCHUROV (1871-1917)
November 29 December 2, 1994
St. Daniels Monastery, Moscow
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit!
Aware of Her unbroken connection with the synaxis of the new martyrs of Russia, the Russian Orthodox Church continues to individually glorify those who, during the persecutions to which the Orthodox Church in Russia was subjected, through their righteous lives and martyrs deaths, manifested the highest ideal given to the Church of Christ by the Holy Apostle Paul: "For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord" (Rm. 14:8).
The first clergyman of the Russian Orthodox Church, whom Our Lord Jesus Christ made worthy of bearing a martyrs crown in the 20th century from the hands of the godless Bolshevik authorities, the first murdered Russian Orthodox priest, about whom the Holy Confessor Patriarch Tikhon said: "adorned with a martyrs crown, the reposed pastor now stands before the throne of Cod among the chosen faithful of Christs flock", was destined to be the zealous parish priest and inspired witness "even unto death" (Rev. 12:11) of Christs Truth Archpriest John Kochurov, who met a martyrs death at the hands of apostates and theomachists on October 31, 1917 in Tsarskoye Selo.
The Holy Council, having examined the zealous service and martyrs death of Archpriest John Kochurov, is convinced of the holiness of his deeds and hereby decrees:
- That Archpriest John Kochurov, killed in Tsarskoye Selo by persecutors of the Church of Christ on October 31, 1917, be numbered among the hieromartyrs for Church-wide veneration.
- That the righteous remains of Hieromartyr John, buried in Tsarskoye Selo, henceforth be considered holy relics and be left to the care of Gods mercy, until such time as they may be uncovered.
- That the service to Hieromartyr John, following this the day of his glorification, be the general service for martyrs and that a blessing is given for the composition of a special service for him.
- That the memory of Hieromartyr John be celebrated on October 31 according to the Julian Calendar.
- That the name of Hieromartyr John be included in the synaxis of the new martyrs and confessors of Russia.
- That an icon for veneration of the newly glorified Hieromartyr John be painted according to the Decree of the Seventh Ecumenical Council.
- That the life of Hieromartyr John be published for the edification in piety of the Churchs faithful.
- That, on behalf of the Holy Council, the great and grace-filled joy of the glorification of the new hieromartyr of Russia be announced to the flock of All Rus.
- That the name of the newly-glorified hieromartyr be made known to the Primates of the sister Orthodox Churches for inclusion in their calendars.
Through the intercessions and prayers of hieromartyr John, may the Lord strengthen the faith of all the faithful of the Russian Orthodox Church and bestow His blessing upon them. Amen.
+ ALEKSY, PATRIARCH OF MOSCOW AND ALL RUSSIA
AND THE MEMBERS OF THE HOLY COUNCIL
Troparion, Tone 1
Aflame with love for God
You gave your life as a martyr for Christ and neighbor.
For this you received a crown of righteousness from Him.
O Hieromartyr John,
Entreat the Most Merciful God
To preserve the Holy Church in peace and save our souls.
Kontakion, Tone 8
As you zealously fulfilled your pastoral service,
You brought your soul to God as a well-pleasing sacrifice, O Father John.
Entreat Christ God to grant peace to the world and great mercy to our souls.