The Russian Consul Departed Rather Than Face Trouble.




News of the Fearful Storm Which Has Burst Over his Sacred Head May Be Sent to Him by Special Steamer.


The Esquiman boys taken from the Russian Church, on Powell street, are reported in a terrible condition by Superintendent Kane of the Youths’ Directory. To all outward appearances they were cleanly, but when their clothes were removed their little bodies were found to be covered with vermin sores. Most of their clothing was destroyed, and each and everyone was given a bath with plenty of hard scrubbing.

The authorities of the Directory have brought the youngsters around in good shape, and, judging from their present feelings, they would like to remain in the institution for the term of their natural lives. Thus far not one of the little chaps has asked to be returned to the seminary.

Bishop Vladimir, against whom the terrible charges have been made, is at present in the northern seas making his tour of the islands. He has not heard of the storm that has burst over his head. He will undoubtedly be notified however by a steamer sent especially for the purpose, or a letter will be handed to him at the first port he may touch at.

He should now be on his homeward journey. It is not anticipated that he will make any attempt to fly the country, as he knew some months since that he might expect just such trouble as has come upon him. He will undoubtedly return to San Francisco and challenge proof of the charges preferred against him. He will probably be arrested. Nothing in the treaty between the United States and Russia prohibits his being prosecuted.

Some time ago the sudden departure of Mr. Olarovsky, the Russian Consul-General in this city, occasioned great surprise among his friends. He liked the post and expressed a wish that he might be permitted to remain with the many friends he had made. He departed for Russia at very short notice, and is now located at New York.

Barret Rosenthal, speaking of Mr. Olarovsky’s retirement, yesterday said:

"I informed him sometime ago of the condition of affairs at the Russian Church, and he was horrified. But the Czar is the church, and he could do nothing but support the Bishop to prevent any scandal arising that would besmirch the church. The position was unbearable. He said, ‘I must leave here. I could not remain and face the storm of indignation which would arise if this thing leaked out. I will go.’ So he applied for a vacation and was ordered to return to Russia immediately. He went East and was appointed to the New York station. This was the cause of the Consul’s departure."

It is not expected that any demonstration will be made at any church service, no matter how the Russo-Greek-Slavonian population may feel toward Bishop Vladimir.

Father George, the Archimandrite now in charge, is extremely popular and is generally regarded as a good and God-fearing man.

When the cases of E. P. Alexine, Superintendent of the Graeco-Russian Seminary, and Paul Ligda, his assistant, who were arrested on Thursday for cruelly ill-treating the boys, were called in Judge Worley’s court yesterday morning Fisher Ames, their attorney, demanded a jury trial. After considerable discussion the cases were set down for trial at 7:30 o’clock P. M. on July 6th.

San Francisco Examiner, Sunday, June 14, 1891, p. 9:2.