The Local Greek Company Will Leave in Three Weeks.




They Are Now Three Hundred and Will Be Three Thousand Before They Arrive.


Three hundred sturdy and patriotic Greeks, headed by P. Vrettos of this City, will leave for the scene of hostilities in Crete in the course of the next three weeks. They will stop en route at the larger cities, and are confident that their numbers will be increased to something like 3000 by the time they reach New York.

The Greek Consul in that city has been communicated with and will, it is understood, furnish the necessary transportation expenses. The company will proceed from New York to Havre, thence to Paris, Marseilles and Athens, the Grecian capital.

Mr. Vrettos, as previously stated in these columns, formerly served in the Grecian army. He attained the rank of sergeant during the trouble with Turkey over the attempt on the part of the Greek Government to seize certain territory in Epirus in 1886.

He was stationed with his regiment at Pronthilias, in Thessaly, some five miles from Mount Olympus, and while there participated in more than one exciting brush with the enemy, in one of which he received two bullet wounds in the right leg.

"I didn’t think much of the Turk as a soldier," said Mr. Vrettos last night. "I remember an incident during the campaign I speak of which confirmed me in that opinion. Major Lorris was killed at Contra, about ten miles from Pronthilias, and the command devolved upon a man named Yataganas, who, with no more than three corporals and twenty-two privates behind him, charged and routed 300 Turks, slaying 100 of that number."

Mr. Vrettos has lived nine years in America, though the remaining members of his family reside in the mother country. He was careful to add that neither he nor his companions have any intention of permanently abandoning the United States. "If alive when the fun is all over," said Mr. Vrettos ingeniously, "we will return to California."

The San Francisco Call, Saturday, February 20, 1897, p. 9:4.