AN ORTHODOX CEREMONY
Miss Ella Dabovich, daughter of Mrs. L. Dabovich, and Theodore Pashkovsky were married last evening at the Russian Eastern Orthodox Church, 1715 Powell street, the Rev. Sebastian Dabovich, uncle of the bride, officiating.
The ceremony was extremely picturesque, the groom's immediate connection with the church making it an occasion of more than usual solemnity. Mr. Pashkovsky is a reader at the church, and now that he has taken unto himself a wife will soon be ordained a priest, for according to the laws of the Eastern church no unmarried man may be invested with ministerial functions. At the expressed wish of the Bishop the ceremony was conducted with the utmost simplicity. As the church is undergoing repairs the ceremony was celebrated in the Episcopal parlors. There were no floral decorations, but the altar was bright with the light of countless wax tapers. The ceremony was extremely impressive. Three times the young couple drank of the blessed wine, three times did they march around the altar and thrice exchange rings while the groomsmen held the golden crowns over their respective heads.
The bride was attended by Miss Julia Metropolsky, who acted as maid of honor, and Miss Irene Radovich, who officiated as bridesmaid. Little Lydia Dabovich preceded the bridal procession, holding aloft the Holy Picture.
George A. Dabovich, brother of the bride, and Paul Grepachevsky officiated as groomsmen, and Fabian Hildebrandt and Achim Zubkovsky acted as ushers.
The bride wore a dainty gown of white organdie trimmed with white satin ribbons and Valenciennes lace. Her veil was fastened with a diamond sunburst, the gift of the Bishop.
Miss Metropolsky and little Miss Dabovich were attired in dainty white gowns of organdie over white silk. Miss Irene Radovich wore a modish Nile green silk gown. All the attendants carried bouquets of bride roses.
After the ceremony the invited guests, thirty in number, repaired to the future home of the newly wedded pair, 1926 Leavenworth street, where the bridal supper was served.
The San Francisco Call, Tuesday, November 9, 1897, p. 9:2
Reprinted in the Holy Trinity Cathedral LIFE, Vol. 2, No. 4, December 1994.