WORK TO START ON OLD CHAPEL
Restoration of Building Erected at Fort Ross in 1812 to Begin Next Week.
By International News Service
SANTA ROSA, April 8. The restoration of the chapel at Fort Ross, built by the Russians in 1812 and purchased for the State through the efforts of William Randolph Hearst, will commence next week. With the $2,000 obtained from the last Legislature by Senator Herbert Slater, the famous old relic will be made to appear as it did when finished by the Russians.
Carlos Call, whose father, George W. Call, formerly owned the fort, has been retained by State Architect G.B. McDougall and Commissioner Fred T. Duhring as superintendent of the restoration work.
The underpinning of the old chapel will be placed on a cement base. Hewn timbers, such as those originally used, will restore the building proper.
When the work is completed it is planned to have an ancient ceremonial of Russian origin at Fort Ross.
The San Francisco Examiner, Sunday, April 9, 1916, p. N3
Reprinted in the Holy Trinity Cathedral LIFE, Vol. 3, No. 8, April 1996